Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Illicit Toys





He taught me how to read people’s eyes. We used to smoke cigarettes together and indulge in a variety of indoor activities. Time would stop and move at light speed with him. Even if he didn’t have everything under the sun and moon, he was the definition of lust, the definition of hard, and the definition of an all consuming addiction. Of course I knew he was bad for me, but like any addiction I had lost control somewhere between the first hit and the last high. Trying to reach the first climax became my broken record. You would think I’d get frustrated trying, but part of the high was in the reaching, and never quite attaining.

There was no mystery in his lack of commitment, but his betrayal was unexpected in many ways. When you’re in a state of dream making, it’s hard to wake up; and anyway who wants to wake up from Dante’s Paradise? Somewhere between the fifth and sixth sphere of heaven was his presence, wanting to be with mine. I was deluding myself, but if I avoided his eyes, everything would be just fine. When I finally did have the courage to look, the truth came out and punched me right in the womb. I looked up and a world of pain oozed out.

The music was loud, pulsating. It was not my type of music, I hated the screeching, arrhythmic beats, but he was there, so I climbed the million, sloping steps to get inside, opening and closing doors, passing water fountains, and people on various stages of their Ecstasy high, just to see which room he would be in. I was trapped in an M.C. Escher lithograph, with a skewed perspective on life, reduced to playing a ridiculous game of hide and go seek with someone who violated all the rules. The fact that he wasn’t as pleased to see me as I was to see him, didn’t bother me as much as you would think. The beautiful brunette by his side also didn’t hurt as much I had expected. It was the look in his eyes, the one that had been there all along, had I bothered to take a fucking look. All this time and I had no idea what I was dealing with.

What a brilliant waste of time.

I learned. I learned to look a person in the eye when looking for the truth. Looking for lies, well that's a whole other waterfall.



30 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your writing. Words escape me. Good one. Really good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much. That means a lot coming from a terrific writer such as yourself. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I agree - well written and powerfully told. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome take on the prompt. I like the wy you include the visual prompt too.
    P.S.- I can't quite figure out the comment system... I don't really have any option so "anonymous" is default...

    DragonSpark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I struggle with the technical aspects of having a blog, and not sure whether I chose the right format with Google so my apologies. I hope it can get easier as I get more experience. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  4. This was bloody brilliant. I simply loved it, and you may have inspired me to take a chance with my writing once again and give it another go. Loved what you did with this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathy! I love the phrase bloody brilliant, so your comment was fun to read in many ways. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. I like the way you wove the prompt in, in little unexpected places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You captured how desperate a high can be and how a person can be oblivious to the desperation, especially with this: "...so I climbed the million, sloping steps." And the line "What a brilliant waste of time" is a brilliant punctuation mark. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love your analysis. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete
  7. I love how gritty and real this is. Great voice. And I agree with Meg – "What a brilliant waste of time" is a fantastic and well-placed line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's strange how often people can get caught up in a maze of a relationship. Rising to meet the challenge to make it work, when the other person isn't even bothering to try. Relationsships can be like that Escher print just as you alluded. I think you portrayed the couple very well, and realistically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's all part of the learning experience, isn't it? Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  9. Great, realistic depiction of a bad relationship. Love the last paragraph - sure, we might learn... but it doesn't mean we won't make the same mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't we all made the same mistakes over and over again?! :-) Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  10. Really enjoyed reading this - so well written. My favorite: " Looking for lies, well that's a whole other waterfall." I'm a sucker for the combination of clever and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ending shut like a heavy door. Such a relatable story and so well told!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, amazing, my favorite one of all the gems you've shared!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Raw and beautiful writing. I love how realistic she is about her obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love all the symbolism and analogies!! I hung onto every word!! Then the ending...truth in the eyes!! Awesome! You have such an amazing voice and gift!! Thank you another wonderful read!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much! These fiction pieces are fun to write, especially when we can draw from a little inspiration. I am glad you read! :-)

      Delete