Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Liebster Award for Bloggers

I’ve just had a week with no home internet. The plan was to read together as a family every night, meditate every morning, and write like crazy. The reality consisted more of checking out a dozen library DVDs, aimless mental rants, and a sufficient bout of writer’s block. Suffice to say, I was happy to log on to my blog today and read that DragonSpark nominated me for a Liebster Award. 





The Liebster Award is a cool way to discover other bloggers, read what else is out there, and maybe bring some fresh eyes on your words. It also helped tremendously with the writer's block. 

Here are the rules:
1. Link to the person who nominated you
2. Answer their questions
3. Nominate new blogs for the award
4. Ask them 10 new questions
5. Let the nominees know they have been nominated
6. Smile

The following are my answers to their insightful questions:

1.       What’s a good book ending/ what’s the best book ending you’ve read?

There are many, but the first that comes to mind is "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe. After years of reading predominantly European and American authors, African literature literally blew my mind. This particular novel takes you on a journey relating the effects of cultural imperialism. In regards to the ending it’s not necessarily a surprising one, yet the personal affliction of the main protagonist makes you question everything about history, colonialism, and life.

2.      What’s the most interesting thing you’ve ever done or that has ever happened to you?

Deciding to hold off on university and traveling the world a bit (well at least 2 continents of it). Though I sometimes question whether this was the best professional move, the experience has changed me wholly. There is no price on a 2 year hiatus from life’s expectations to pursue your heart. 

3.      What is/would be (if you had one) first on your bucket list?

To travel the world with my family: two kids and a husband in tow through all the continents via plane, train, bus, on foot, and bike, preferably for 2-5 years. 

4.      If you could change one thing in the world what would it be?

For the world to be less materialistic, for there to be less focus on our big houses, luxury cars, our brand name goods and more focus on our internal spirit. Ideally everyone would meditate, practice yoga, and read books. That would be a good world to live in!

5.      What time period would you live in if you had the choice (“now” and “the future” are not valid answers) and why?

Ah! This one is hard for obvious reasons – how do you disregard the past’s blatant discriminations? As a woman and an Hispanic, where would I survive? I am fascinated by the period Shakespeare lived in, though the practicalities of living in 16th century repressed England, well I’d rather not. I adored the Little House on the Prairie books, but the reality of everyday farm labor, weather trouble, and illness, sounds just dreadful. Alright, since this is just for fun, I pick early 1900s in France, as a fly on the wall hearing conversations between all the great cubist artists. 

6.      You’re stranded on a desert island with four books, two movies, and an album. What are they?

Can a series count as 1 book? I would choose the Harry Potter series, the Golden Notebook, Love in the Time of Cholera, and good solid dictionary. The album would have to be The Wall by Pink Floyd, and 2 movies: The Matrix and anything by Hayao Miyazaki. 

7.      If you could play any role in any movie, what would that role be and why?

Ha! A sexy and vicious Telenovela (Latin American soap opera) villain, preferably on a huge rancho with a cowboy hat. Talk about therapeutic. I imagine because I am generally such a nice person, that unleashing a raging inner ego looks like fun. 

8.      You can go on a three week road trip. Where are you going and what’s your ride?

A rusty orange vintage VW camper, and I am driving from Key West, Florida to Portland, Oregon. That would be fantastic!! A diagonal road trip. 

9.      It’s the best day of your life. What happens?

Nothing too spectacular per se, a quiet breakfast together with the family, a great morning run, maybe an art workshop with my girls, maybe a day at the beach – what’s important are the moments, I have endless time for my family, I am not distracted by household duties, I have all the patience in the world, and my inner peace and happiness radiates to everyone around me. I top it off with an evening mediation, exuding gratitude to the universe. 

10.   You are stranded on a desert island with a box (of any shape or size). What’s in the box? (The answer can’t be the same as the desert island question above)

A blank notebook with infinite pages, a pen with endless ink, and my husband and the girls. I now doubt the practicality of this box, when I probably should ask for antibiotics, tools to build a boat, and an endless food supply, but what can I say – I am a dreamer after all.   

*Bonus: I figured you might have gotten tired with the “why do you blog?” (either DragonSpark too or he just didn’t think about it) but if you want to answer it as a bonus question feel free.

I blog because I am driven to write, because I have been ignoring it for far too long now, and because I strive to perfect my literary thoughts until I can bring forth the novel that continues to elude me with just fleeting moments in my dreams.

Here are my questions to the following nominees (I included DragonSpark just because I am curious as to his answers) Happy Blogging!

The Relative Cartographer
The Wizard's Word
Tiny Purple Me
DragonSpark  
Hibble'sScribbles


1.      What writer most inspires you?
2.      Do you write/blog for yourself or for others?
3.      Who is your favorite visual artist of all time?
4.      If you could learn a new language, which would it be? How would you approach it?
5.      What is your biggest phobia? What is your biggest dream?
6.      Assuming you believe in reincarnation, who do you think you were in a past life?
7.      What mythical creature most represents your personality, and how?
8.      If you could invent something to improve the world, what would it be?
9.      Would you rather: Be a recognized, acclaimed writer in your lifetime, or Remain unnoticed until your death in which then your words will live and be studied forever?  Explain why.
10.  Tell me about your perfect dessert.


3 comments:

  1. Given that I'm an outspoken, stereotypical teen, answering questions about me is the best thing I could be doing. For the practicality of the award, I won't be nominating anybody else, but you'll get your answers!
    Interacting with other bloggers is a pleasure. I'm glad that you have... prolonged this exchange.
    DragonSpark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed that you are blogging, writing, and a teenager. This blogging community is awesome and I look forward to reading your answers.

      Delete